A day after Boston canceled its annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade over concerns about the coronavirus outbreak, Mayor Marty Walsh said that as of Tuesday the Boston Marathon scheduled for next month is still on.
The parade, which draws as many as a million visitors to the city’s South Boston neighborhood, was called off Monday.
Conversations with other stakeholders involved in the marathon — which expects about 31,000 runners as well as million spectators and pumps more than $200 million into the city’s economy — are ongoing, Walsh said at an impromptu news conference outside City Hall.
The city is also working on determining which city employees are essential and who can work from home, cleaning and sanitizing schools throughout the day every day and working on solutions for the city’s homeless population, such as spreading them across the city in mini shelters rather than concentrating them in just a few shelters, Walsh said.
For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 58,000 have so far recovered.
The number of people in Massachusetts who have tested positive for the virus jumped to 41 on Monday, the state Public Health Department said. Nine of those cases are in Boston, Walsh said.
What questions do you have about the coronavirus and the effect it could have in Maine? Let us know in the form below.
[iframe url=” https://bangordailynews.typeform.com/to/fdNYxG” width=”600″ height=”500″]