April 03, 2020
Down East Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Lobster Blood | Today's Paper

Woman who survived Down East shootings that killed 3 released from hospital

Natalie Williams | BDN
Natalie Williams | BDN
Police cars are parked outside a house at 323 Kennebec Road in Machias on Feb. 3, 2020. A woman who was shot at this house and then was listed in critical condition has been discharged from Maine Medical Center in Portland hospital spokesman.

A Machias woman who survived a Feb. 3 shooting spree that claimed the lives of three other people has been released from a Portland hospital.

Regina Long, 49, has been treated and discharged from Maine Medical Center in Portland, a spokesman at the hospital said Thursday. Patient privacy laws prevent him from disclosing the day she was discharged, he said.

Long had been listed in fair condition at the Portland hospital last week. Prior to her condition improving, Long had been in critical and then serious condition at Maine Medical Center.

Long was shot Feb. 3 in Machias at the Kennebec Road home she shared with Shawn Currey, 57, who was shot and killed in the same incident. Two other people were shot dead that same morning, Jennifer Bryant-Flynn, 49, and Samuel Powers, 33, at their respective homes in Machias and Jonesboro, all allegedly at the hands of Thomas Gerard Bonfanti, 63, of Northfield.

Currey was shot in the neck, upper torso and spine, while Bryant-Flynn and Powers both were shot in the head, according to Lindsey Chasteen, acting administrator for the state medical examiner’s office, which performed autopsies on the victims’ bodies. The manner of death for all three is homicide, she said.

Bonfanti, who has been charged with three counts of murder and one count of elevated aggravated assault, made his initial courtroom appearance on the charges on Feb. 5. He remains held without bail at Washington County Jail in Machias.

Police have not revealed details about the sequence, the circumstances behind or a possible motive for the killings. A Maine State Police affidavit that describes details in the shootings has been sealed by a judge, making it unavailable to the public. The affidavit is expected to be released after a grand jury indicts Bonfanti, which is expected to happen in the coming months.

Bonfanti was taken into custody peacefully at the American Legion Post 9 in Machias about half an hour after police first were notified about the shootings at around 10:45 a.m. on Feb. 3. Bonfanti, an Army veteran, is a member of the Legion.

According to Bonfanti’s public military service records, obtained Thursday by the Bangor Daily News from the National Archives’ National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Bonfanti served in the Army for just over a year, enlisting on March 24, 1975, about a month before the Vietnam War effectively ended with the fall of Saigon.

After enlisting in Boston as an 18-year-old and then receiving training in Kentucky and Maryland, Bonfanti served overseas in Germany as a recovery vehicle operator, according to the personnel records. Before returning to the United States in February 1976, he earned an Army rifle marksman badge, the records show. He was discharged from the Army on March 30, 1976.

Bonfanti also is facing a charge for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of intoxicants, stemming from a Jan. 31 incident in Machias, three days before the shootings. He is due to appear in court on that charge on March 3 in Machias, according to the court clerk’s office. He was out on bail following the OUI charge at the time of the Feb. 3 shootings.

Bonfanti’s criminal history in Maine lists an operating under the influence charge in November 2004. A Washington County jury found him guilty in April 2007, resulting in a 90-day license suspension and $600 fine, according to the Maine State Bureau of Identification.

 


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like