A man died after an overloaded toaster started a Thursday afternoon fire in Vassalboro.

Nicholas Blaschke, 26, lived in the single-story Hussey Hill Road home with his mother, Kathleen Cote, who discovered the blaze when she returned home from work late Thursday afternoon, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Cote attempted to pull her son, who was found on the kitchen floor, from the burning home, but was unable to, McCausland said. Maine State Police Lt. Scott Ireland, who lived nearby, pulled Blaschke from the home, but efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful, McCausland said.

Ireland was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, McCausland said.

McCausland said investigators determined Blaschke likely overloaded a toaster in the kitchen, causing it to overheat and then catch fire.