For the second straight night, Boston University scored with an extra attacker after pulling goalie Sam Tucker. This time, it earned the Terriers a Hockey East tie with the University of Maine.

Sophomore left wing Matthew Quercia’s goal with 1:40 remaining on Saturday night enabled BU to escape with a point after a 2-2 overtime tie at Alfond Arena in Orono.

UMaine, which beat BU 4-2 on Friday night, is now 5-2-1 overall, 2-1-1 in Hockey East, while BU is 2-2-3 and 1-1-2.

“There were all sorts of opportunities for different people at different times to change the complexion of the game. But that’s hockey,” UMaine head coach Red Gendron said.

“The bottom line is we got three out of four points and if you get three out of four points every weekend, you’re going to wind up being in pretty good shape,” Gendron added.

On the tying goal, BU won a faceoff and Patrick Curry took a shot from the high slot that filtered through a maze of players and was saved by UMaine goalie Jeremy Swayman.

But the rebound bounced into the low shot and Quercia swatted it into the net.

Senior center Tim Doherty staked UMaine to a 1-0 lead with a goal just 2:43 into the game as he jammed home the rebound of a Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi wrist shot from the left point.

BU freshman center Trevor Zegras equalized with 8:06 remaining in the second period when he got behind the Black Bear defense, tracked down Kasper Kotkansalo’s high flip pass and wristed a 16-footer past Swayman’s glove while he was stumbling to the ice.

UMaine freshman defenseman Adrien Bisson gave UMaine a 2-1 lead 1:40 into the third period as he registered his first career goal and point.

Jack Quinlivan tracked down the puck and slid it to the point and Bisson’s wrister deflected off a BU stick and sailed past Tucker.

“We work on that every day in practice. I wasn’t aiming it, I just wanted to get a shot on net and I was fortunate it went in,” Bisson said.

Jeremy Swayman finished with 35 saves for UMaine and Tucker made 23 for BU.

Doherty had a pair of breakaways but his shorthanded effort hit the post in the second period and, in the third period, Tucker made a potential game-saving stop with UMaine holding a 2-1 lead.

“I hit the post with a backhander and [Tucker] knew I had gone with a backhander so I tried to tuck it five-hole [on the forehand side] but he kept [his legs] closed up,” Doherty said.

Tucker said Doherty didn’t tip off what he intended to do “so I just played it straight up and I was lucky enough to make the save.”

“Any time you give up a lead late it’s kind of frustrating,” said UMaine senior right wing and captain Mitch Fossier. “We wanted to get the four points but you have to look at the positive aspect, too. We took three out of four points against a pretty good team in Hockey East and those points are going to be real important down the stretch.”

UMaine preserved the tie by killing a penalty in overtime which extended the Black Bears stretch of consecutive penalty kills to 24.

BU was missing leading scorer Patrick Harper and its most experienced defenseman (Cam Crotty) because of injuries.

“Maine came out really physical tonight but we got our legs more and more as the game went along and we tipped it [in our favor] in the third period. We’re in pretty good shape and we’re a good skating team,” BU coach Albie O’Connell said.

BU outshot UMaine 29-15 over the final 45 minutes of the game after UMaine held a 10-8 edge following the first period.