Emergency responders salute as the procession carrying the body of Farmington Fire Capt. Michael Bell goes through Farmington on Sept. 17, 2019. Credit: Gabor Degre

As of Thursday, the Farmington Fire Department has enough staff to cover all shifts, following the Sept. 16 propane explosion that killed one firefighter and injured six others last month.

Around 80 other departments have stepped in to help over the past six weeks. Farmington Deputy Chief Tim Hardy said three of the injured have returned to work and the rest are still recuperating at home.

“Hopefully, in the near future, we’ll be able to have those folks back with us also,” he said.

[Last firefighter injured in Farmington gas explosion released from hospital]

Hardy said the department’s morale is improving every day, and their thoughts are focused on a maintenance worker who was also injured in the blast, Larry Lord. He remains in serious condition at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

“We’re calling it a new normal,” he said. “And we’re going to progress and go forward every day with our personnel that we have on hand.”

This article appears through a media partnership with Maine Public.