December 11, 2019
Midcoast Latest News | Medicaid Expansion | Bangor Metro | Emera Maine | Today's Paper

Family safely escapes early morning house fire

Alexander Violo | Lincoln County News
Alexander Violo | Lincoln County News
Fire damage is visible on an upper level of a home near Pemaquid Point in New Harbor early Monday morning.

Bristol Fire Chief Paul Leeman Jr. credits smoke detectors with the safe exit of a family of four from a home near Pemaquid Point after a fire broke out early Monday morning.

There were no injuries in the fire at 34 Pemaquid Loop Road in New Harbor, according to Leeman. “The smoke alarms woke the family up and they were able to get out OK,” Leeman said.

The family was renting the home in an area of Bristol popular with seasonal residents and vacationers.

Leeman credited the first firefighters to arrive with preventing the fire from spreading throughout the house.

“The first crews on scene did a great job knocking the fire down,” he said.

The fire spread to part of the roof, but was mostly contained to a bathroom, according to Leeman. The house sustained smoke and water damage in addition to the fire damage in the bathroom.

After extinguishing the fire, firefighters were using fans to air out the home and were monitoring the air quality in the building.

The fire is believed to have been accidental. The Maine fire marshal’s office has been contacted, according to Leeman.

Lincoln County Communications dispatched the Bristol Fire Department at 4:02 a.m. Also responding were the Bremen, Damariscotta, Newcastle and South Bristol fire departments.

The Central Lincoln County Ambulance Service responded to the scene and the Nobleboro Fire Department provided station coverage for Bremen.

This story appears through a media partnership with The Lincoln County News.

 



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like