September 18, 2019
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Michael Bell | Bangor Metro | Tiny Homes | Today's Paper

Brother says he urged man killed by police in Auburn to ‘come out with your hands straight up in the air’

Submitted photo courtesy of CBS 13
Submitted photo courtesy of CBS 13
Nick Case, right, told CBS 13 he tried to convince his brother, Steven, left, to "come out with your hands up" during a standoff with police Monday. Steven Case was ultimately shot and killed by police to end a six-hour standoff.

A man has died in a police-involved shooting in Auburn, ending what police call an hours-long armed stand-off and hostage situation.

Police are identifying the man shot and killed Tuesday as Steven Case, a man who was supposed to begin serving a jail sentence Monday on a weapons charge.

Auburn police arrived on the scene around 9 a.m., they say for an unrelated matter, when they came in contact with 29-year-old Steven Case.

[Police shoot and kill man to end 6-hour standoff in Auburn]

“It was coincidental, our contact with him,” Auburn Police Deputy Chief Tim Cougle said. “We were not there for him. We were there for something completely different. He has a significant criminal history and is known to us.”

Officials say he was carrying stolen guns, ran into the basement of a home and barricaded himself with a woman.

Local and state police spent about six hours on the scene.

Auburn Press Conference

WATCH LIVE: Maine State Police are holding a press conference following a standoff in Auburn.

Posted by WGME CBS 13 News, Portland on Tuesday, May 21, 2019

CBS 13 spoke with Case’s brother, who said he tried to convince him over the phone to surrender.

“He told me that he was afraid if he came outside that they would want to kill him anyways,” brother Nick Case said. “I told him, I said ‘You got to just come out with your hands up,’ and he was petrified. [I said], ‘You got to come out with your hands straight up in the air.’”

But that’s not what happened, police say Case refused to come out and he told police he had a hostage.

[State’s top court orders new trial for man convicted of resisting arrest, assault]

The woman was released unharmed.

Police say Case was well-known to them.

Auburn police say Case was supposed to start a nine-month sentence Monday at the Androscoggin County Jail.

Police say they’re not sure why Case was at this specific home. They believe he had a friend there, and now the Attorney General’s Office will take over the investigation.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like