A South Portland woman who was seriously injured in a house fire last October has died.
Rebecca Sloan, 33, died at a Portland hospital from complications related to a chronic illness, according to the Portland Press Herald. Sloan was diagnosed with cryptogenic organizing pneumonia, a rare lung disease, in October 2017, according to the Press Herald.
After the Oct. 31, 2018, fire at her parents’ home on Kincaid Street in South Portland, Sloan spent several weeks in the hospital as she recovered from burns over 20 percent of her body, the Press Herald reports. She was released from the hospital in December before being readmitted in January for skin graft surgery.
Sloan fell ill on Thursday and was taken to Mercy Hospital in Portland, where she died, the Press Herald reports.
“It came as a shock to all of us,” her mother, Brenda Sloan, told the Press Herald. “It was all too much for her. She was such a fighter.”