May 26, 2019
Midcoast Latest News | Memorial Day Weekend | Bangor Metro | Sports Betting | Today's Paper

Bowdoin College student burned in dorm fire

Brunswick Fire Department | BDN
Brunswick Fire Department | BDN
A Bowdoin College student was hospitalized with second- and third-degree burns after a dorm fire on Monday morning.

A Bowdoin College student was taken to a Portland hospital with second-and third-degree burns following an early morning fire Monday in a Maine Street residence hall.

Tristan Young, 20, whose home address was not immediately available, suffered burns to his hands, Brunswick Fire Chief Ken Brillant said.

Brunswick firefighters and EMTs were called to the dormitory at 250 Maine St. at about 5 a.m. and found that the building’s sprinkler system had already extinguished the flames, Brillant said.

Young had gotten himself out of the room and the building and was taken by Brunswick ambulance to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick, and later to Maine Medical Center in Portland after medical personnel evaluated the extent of the burns.

“He had a candle going and exactly what happened from there we don’t know,” Brillant said. “They haven’t spoken to him yet.”

The building’s approximately 25 residents were evacuated, and officials hope they will be able to return to the building by the end of the day.

The state fire marshal’s office was at the scene because the fire was in an occupied dorm, at an educational facility, involved a sprinkler system and resulted in injury, according to Brillant.

The room sustained damage only from water from the sprinklers, he said.

“Had it not been for the sprinkler system, this could have been very different,” Brillant said, praising the college for being “proactive.” “It saved lives, and saved the property.”

Young’s condition was not immediately available Monday morning.

 



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like