A squirrel found its way into electrical utility equipment in downtown Bangor early Wednesday afternoon, causing a power outage that affected 1,400 Emera Maine customers for more than an hour.
Residents and businesses on both sides of Kenduskeag Stream lost power shortly before 1 p.m. after the squirrel entered an electrical switch near the intersection of Hammond and North High streets, according to Emera spokeswoman Judy Long.
By 2:30 p.m., power had been restored to most of those customers.
“I can confirm that a squirrel was the cause of the outage,” Long said. “We’re now finishing repairing the damage the squirrel caused.”
The Bangor Fire Department said on Twitter that the outage was related to a transformer explosion near High Street. It later shared a photo of what appeared to be a dead squirrel lying on the ground, shortly before Emera confirmed that the animal had caused the outage.
“We have identified a possible issue,” the department wrote in the tweet.
— Bangor Fire Dept. (@BangorFireDept) January 16, 2019