Firefighters on the scene of a barn fire in Waldoboro during the morning of Saturday, Dec. 15. Credit: Alexander Violo | Lincoln County News

Fire destroyed a 2½-story barn at 130 George Luce Road in Waldoboro the morning of Saturday, Dec. 15.

There were no human injuries, but a goat died in the fire. The family pet was the only animal inside the barn when the fire started, according to Waldoboro Fire Chief Paul Smeltzer.

The barn was fully involved when firefighters arrived, according to Smeltzer. He said he could see flames while driving on Route 220 toward the fire and called for help from neighboring towns.

A power line slowed the initial response to the fire. Firefighters started a defensive attack to keep the fire from spreading, according to Smeltzer.

A tanker shuttle brought water to the scene. Smeltzer thanked neighboring departments for their timely assistance.

The barn was not connected to any other structures on the property, at the end of a dead-end road off Friendship Road.

The homeowner was outside around 7 a.m. and everything was fine. Around 7:30 a.m., the fire was discovered, according to Smeltzer.

Mary L. Ashmore owns the property, according to municipal tax records.

Smeltzer said he would consult with the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office regarding the fire.

Lincoln County Communications dispatched the Waldoboro Fire Department at 7:31 a.m.

The Cushing, Friendship, Jefferson, Union, and Warren fire departments assisted Waldoboro at the scene. Waldoboro Emergency Medical Services and Central Maine Power Co. also responded.