FRYEBURG, Maine — The Maine fire marshal’s office says the blaze that destroyed two buildings and damaged several others at a historic fairground was accidental.
Fire investigators said Wednesday that the fire at the Fryeburg Fairgrounds was caused by an electrical malfunction inside a sheep barn.
The sheep barn was engulfed in flames when first responders arrived around 7 p.m. Tuesday. The fire spread to a nearby cattle shed, and both buildings burned to the ground.
No animals or people were injured. Damages are estimated at $500,000.
The fairground is home to the state’s largest agricultural fair, which is a tradition that dates back 160 years.
Fair officials say the annual event will still happen in the fall.
Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.