April 25, 2018
Business Latest News | Poll Questions | Deputy Shot | Cremated Ashes | Missing Boy

Dick’s Sporting Goods to stop selling assault-style rifles, raise buying age

Chuck Liddy | Raleigh News & Observer | TNS
Chuck Liddy | Raleigh News & Observer | TNS
On display at a gun shop in Wendell, North Carolina, an AR-15 assault rifle manufactured by Core15 Rifle Systems in Dec. 18, 2012.
The Associated Press
Updated:

Dick’s Sporting Goods will immediately end sales of assault-style rifles and high-capacity magazines at all of its stores and ban the sale of all guns to anyone under 21 years old.

The announcement Wednesday comes two weeks after the school massacre in Parkland, Florida.

“When we saw what the kids were going through and the grief of the parents and the kids who were killed in Parkland, we felt we needed to do something,” Chairman and CEO Edward Stack said on “Good Morning America.”

[Maine legislative leaders reject late calls to arm school staff, toughen gun control]

Dick’s, a major gun retailer, had cut off sales of assault-style weapons at Dick’s stores following the Sandy Hook school shooting. But Dick’s owns dozens of its Field & Stream stores, where there has been no such ban in place.

There are no Field & Stream stores in Maine, according to the online store locator. Assault-style rifles are not sold at the Dick’s location inside the Bangor Mall, but the new age restriction will affect Mainers between the ages of 18 and 21, who were previously able to buy one of the store’s variety of hunting rifles. A store manager working at the gun counter declined to comment.

“We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens,” Stack wrote in a letter released Wednesday. “But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America — our kids.”

[Maine House speaker makes new gun, school safety laws her ‘absolute top priority’]

Nickolas Cruz, the gunman who killed 17 people in Florida, mostly students, purchased a shotgun at a Dick’s store in November 2017, Stack said.

“It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting,” Stack wrote. “But it could have been. Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.”

The gun issue has embroiled a number of companies since the Parkland shooting, from Delta Airlines to FedEx.

Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. is based in Pittsburgh in a state where the first day of deer hunting season is an unofficial holiday for some families.

Stack said on “Good Morning America” that Dick’s is prepared for any potential backlash but will never allow the sale of such guns in its stores again.

[Opinion: What liberals miss about the Second Amendment]

Stack on Wednesday called on elected officials to ban assault-style firearms, bump stocks and high-capacity magazines and raise the minimum age to buy firearms to 21. He said universal background checks should be required, and there should be a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms. He also called for the closure of the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., also a big gun seller, stopped selling AR-15 rifles and other semi-automatic weapons in 2015.

Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.

 


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like