PORTLAND, Maine — A fire shut down a popular Portland pizza restaurant Sunday.
Fire officials said the fire at Otto Pizza on Congress Street started around 10 a.m. Sunday.
The fire spread into the pipe that leads to the air vents, causing other debris inside of the oven to catch fire.
Officials said there is some damage to the second floor of the building but nobody was hurt.
They said the restaurant’s sprinklers prevented the fire from damaging the entire building.
“There’s a lot of smoke damage. There’s a lot of water damage because of the sprinklers. We’re going to have to have the city inspectors come in and make sure it’s ok before they open it up so they’re going to be closed for a while,” Deputy Fire Chief Terry Walsh said.
Part of Congress Street was shut down for more than an hour Sunday afternoon.