May 24, 2019
Down East Latest News | Domestic Violence | Bangor Metro | Eric Brakey | Today's Paper

Man arrested after Machias store, bank robbed

MACHIAS, Maine — A man has been arrested in the wake of the robberies of a discount store and then a bank Monday morning, according to the local police chief.

Grady Dwelley, chief of the Machias Police Department, declined Monday to release the man’s name, saying that the investigation was in the early stages.

Police still are trying to determine whether there may have been more than one person involved, he said.

He said he expects to release the man’s name on Tuesday, when the suspect is formally charged in connection with the alleged robberies.

“He is in custody,” Dwelley said.

Dwelley said police got a report around 9 a.m. that a robbery had occurred at Main Street Discount, in downtown Machias. A clerk at the business told police that a white male in his late 20s or early 30s and around 5 feet, 10 inches tall had just robbed the store.

Dwelley declined to release a description of what the man was wearing or to provide additional details about what happened at the store.

“He had a firearm,” the chief said.

A few minutes later, police responded to the University of Maine at Machias for a reported sighting of a suspect on campus who matched the description, but found nothing, Dwelley said.

Then, at around 9:30 a.m., they received another report of a robbery at Camden National Bank, on Route 1 near the Hannaford supermarket.

“There was a sizeable amount of money taken from the bank,” he said.

Multiple law enforcement agencies had responded at this point, Dwelley said, and a few minutes after the bank was robbed Washington County Sheriff Barry Curtis and deputies found the suspect on a side street in the neighborhood of the bank. They took the man into custody without struggle, he said.

Dwelley said the man in custody has been charged with possession of drugs and with violating bail. He said the man will face additional charges in connection with Monday’s events.

“You can take that to the bank,” he said.

The chief declined to confirm whether the suspect had ridden a bicycle from one location to the next. He said there was an alleged assault involved in the chain of events, but that no one was injured.

A printed sign taped up inside the door of the bank branch said that it would remain closed for the rest of the day, but made no mention of the alleged robbery.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like