July 23, 2019
Bangor Latest News | Maine's Cigar Cafe | Bangor Metro | Down East 'Mall' | Today's Paper

Hampden house fire deemed accidental

HAMPDEN, Maine — A fire that broke out in the garage of a home on Dudley Road Saturday evening has been deemed accidental, Lt. Dan Pugsley of the Hampden Fire Department said Sunday.

Shortly before the fire began, a motorcycle that was being repaired was run inside the garage, and it is believed to have thrown off heat that ignited nearby flammable material, Pugsley said.

The fire at the home of Thomas Cubberley at 43 Dudley Road was reported about 6:45 p.m. as a vehicle fire inside a garage, Pugsley said.

The fire quickly spread through the garage, damaging it and two office spaces above it. The fire also burned part of the roof of Cubberley’s house, which was located nearby, he said. Though saved, the house had extensive smoke and water damage, Pugsley said.

He said that Cubberley and his adult son made it out of the house safely and were to save photographs, computers and some other valuables. He said one firefighter suffered a minor injury, possibly a sprain, while battling the blaze.

The fire was knocked down within an hour by crews from the Hampden Fire Department, assisted by firefighters from Bangor, Hermon, Holden and other towns.

Pugsley said the homeowner was able to get his three labrador dogs outside of the house to safety but that four birds that were in the house when the fire broke out died.

BDN writer Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like