May 20, 2019
Bangor Latest News | Fiberight | Bangor Metro | Educators Retire | Today's Paper

Judge sets bail at $50,000 for man shot at Eddington woman’s home

BANGOR, Maine — A District Court judge Wednesday set bail at $50,000 cash for a Carmel man who was shot last month during an alleged home invasion at the residence of a woman with whom he was embroiled in a custody dispute.

Christian Tattan, 42, of Carmel was arrested Monday and charged with burglary, a Class B crime, aggravated criminal mischief, a Class C crime, and violation of a protection order, a Class D crime.

He was not asked to enter pleas to the charges because he has not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury. It next convenes on July 27.

He made his first court appearance by video conference from the Penobscot County Jail, where has been held since Monday, before District Court Judge Bruce Jordan at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Bail originally was set by a bail commissioner at $1,000, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office.

Alice Clifford, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, said the seriousness of the case caused her office to seek the $50,000 cash bail imposed.

“We think this is a very serious case,” she said after Tattan appeared before Jordan. “It was a [early morning] home invasion that included the violation of court orders and alleged assaults. Given that and the defendant’s criminal history, we believe $50,000 was appropriate.”

Tattan has a criminal history that includes convictions for criminal mischief and disorderly conduct, according to Bangor Daily News archives.

Bail conditions include no contact with the alleged victims, no possession of dangerous weapons, no use of intoxicants and a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Tattan, who witnesses described as unarmed, was shot once in the upper left ribs area by the mother of his 6-month-old daughter early Sunday, June 12, paramedics told investigators. The wounds were described by personnel at Eastern Maine Medical Center as not life-threatening.

Tattan was released on June 30 but still has a bullet lodged near his spine, his cousin told investigators, according to the affidavit, which was unsealed Wednesday. During surgery to remove the bullet, his spleen was removed and his bowel was repaired.

Details about the shooting in that affidavit to support Tattan’s arrest are identical to those outlined in support of a search warrant to obtain Tattan’s DNA and cellphone and to examine his truck. Both documents outlined events leading up to the alleged burglary and shooting at the home of Renee Lee, 39, who gave birth to their child in November.

Lee told police that she broke up with Tattan in June 2015 and that he was arrested two months later after he threatened her, the affidavit said. Lee was granted a two-year protection from abuse order against Tattan on Aug. 19, 2015, according to court records.

That order was in place when her daughter was born at EMMC, Lee told police. Tattan allegedly violated it.

Tattan and Lee most recently were in court concerning custody of the baby on June 2 but could not agree on conditions, according to the affidavit.

On the day of the shooting, Lee told police that she was awakened at about 6 a.m. by the sound of her first-floor bedroom door being kicked in.

She grabbed a .45 caliber pistol off her nightstand and told Tattan to get out of her room or she would shoot him, the affidavit said. Lee tried to fire the gun but it did not go off because it was not loaded and Tattan knocked it out of her hand.

The two went into the kitchen, where Tattan slammed Lee against a kitchen counter, then went upstairs hollering that he wanted his baby, the affidavit said. Tattan allegedly got into an altercation with a male houseguest, who pointed his .22 caliber revolver at Tattan and told him to leave or he would shoot him. While that was happening, Lee grabbed her .380 caliber pistol off the refrigerator.

Lee told police that she fired her pistol twice “but a shell jammed and she ‘had to jack another one in,’” before firing the round that struck Tattan.

Tattan went outside and tried to get into his 2006 white GMC pickup truck parked in the driveway, the affidavit said. When paramedics arrived, he was lying next to the truck.

If convicted, Tattan, who has a criminal history in Penobscot County, faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000. He also could be ordered to pay restitution to repair damage to the home.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like