SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine — Firefighters said the Howard Johnson Hotel in South Portland has been evacuated because of carbon monoxide.

One person was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The victim’s name was not disclosed.

The hotel was evacuated, and crews found levels of carbon monoxide as high as 400 parts per million, with the main concentration found to be in the area of the furnace room and rooms directly above it, the statement said.

The victim had been staying in the room directly above the furnace room. Levels of carbon monoxide that high can be life-threatening in as little as three hours.

Crews were able to secure the furnace and ventilate the building. No other occupants suffered ill effects.