April 19, 2019
Midcoast Latest News | Mueller Investigation | Bangor Metro | Opioid Epidemic | Today's Paper

Knox deputies end armed standoff peacefully

UNION, Maine — A Union man is behind bars Tuesday after an armed standoff Monday night with police.

Ryan Hopkins, 25, of Union, was taken to the Knox County Jail in Rockland on felony charges of domestic violence terrorizing with a dangerous weapon and criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, according to Knox County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Tim Carroll.

Hopkins is being held without bail and is likely to make his initial appearance in Knox County Unified Court on Wednesday afternoon.

A woman called 911 at about 6:30 p.m. on Monday to report a domestic disturbance at a Union residence. She said that Hopkins told her he was going to kill himself and that she heard a gunshot after he went outside armed with a gun.

When Sgt. Patrick Polky and Deputies Scott Redmun and Arthur Smith of the sheriff’s office arrived on scene, they confronted Hopkins, who was wielding a rifle, outside in the driveway, according to Carroll.

The officers notified the Knox County Regional Communications Center that they were trying to get Hopkins to put down the weapon, but that he was not cooperating and that he repeatedly challenged them to shoot him. Deputies then requested further assistance.

Chief Deputy Carroll responded and asked the dispatch center to notify nearby off-duty units to respond as well as members of the Maine State Police Tactical Unit because Hopkins had retreated into the woods where officers could no longer see him.

Meanwhile, deputies were able to evacuate other family members from the residence. A short time later, Hopkins came out of the woods and re-engaged the deputies.

This time, Polky was able to talk Hopkins into giving up and he was taken into custody without further incident, according to Carroll. Hopkins first was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport for an evaluation and then Tuesday morning transported to the jail.

The incident lasted about 30 to 40 minutes, Carroll said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like