PORTLAND, Maine — A local man who was injured when his clothes caught fire inside his Franklin Towers apartment Friday night has died.

Myron McLaughlin, 80, appeared to have been smoking in a living room chair Friday night when his fleece pajamas caught fire, according to Maine Department of Safety Spokesman Stephen McCausland.

McLaughlin succumbed to his injuries Sunday, McCausland said.

Portland firefighters had responded around 7:30 p.m. Friday after a smoke alarm went off in McLaughlin’s apartment, which was not damaged, according to McCausland.

McLaughlin had suffered burns over 60 percent of his body and had been treated at Maine Medical Center.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...