May 21, 2019
Bangor Latest News | Fiberight | Bangor Metro | Educators Retire | Today's Paper

Chief: Man shot by Bangor officer was armed, discharged firearm

BANGOR, Maine — The man who was shot and killed by a Bangor police officer on Tuesday evening was armed and at some point discharged his firearm, Bangor Police Chief Mark Hathaway said Thursday.

Joshua Jozefowicz, 23, most recently of Swan’s Island, was fatally shot Tuesday night after he pulled his vehicle into the parking lot at the Leadbetter’s at 1105 Hammond St. and then fled from police to a wooded area behind an adjacent field.

Several witnesses reported having heard 10 or more shots fired.

The Maine attorney general’s office and Bangor police released the identities of Jozefowicz and Ryan Jones, the officer involved in the shooting, on Wednesday.

“Local media outlets are reporting that witnesses near the scene of the officer-involved shooting on Tuesday evening heard gunshots from what they believed to be two different firearms,” Hathaway said in a written statement.

“The investigation is at a stage where we can confirm that Mr. Jozefowicz was in fact in possession of a loaded firearm, and that he discharged the firearm at some point during foot chase,” he said.

“The office of the chief medical examiner conducted a postmortem examination and autopsy on Wednesday and determined that Mr. Jozefowicz died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds,” Hathaway said. “No further information will be released at this time.”

Hathaway’s statement did not say what kind of firearm Jozefowicz had or how many shots he or Jones fired.

The Bangor Daily News requested a copy of the autopsy report on Thursday.

“The report is not completed at this time,” Mark Belserene, spokesman for the state medical examiner’s office, said in an email. “I’m not sure if any information will be released anytime soon.”

Court records show there was an arrest warrant out for Jozefowicz, whose criminal history includes convictions on drug-related offenses and a weapons violation involving brass knuckles in Hancock County.

Jones joined the Bangor Police Department in 2010, according to BDN archives. He has been placed on paid administrative leave, according to Bangor police, which is standard procedure in an officer-involved shooting.

Jones was one of six Bangor police officers originally named in a wrongful death lawsuit filed in federal court over the death of Phillip McCue, 28, of Bangor on Sept. 17, 2012. McCue’s father, Michael McCue of Jackson, filed an eight-count wrongful death lawsuit in March 2014 in U.S. District Court in Bangor seeking $6.65 million in damages.

McCue’s attorney, David Van Dyke of Lewiston, dropped Jones from the lawsuit when he filed an amended complaint in July 2014.

Hathaway referred questions about the lawsuit to Bangor attorney Fred Badger, who is on vacation this week.

The state requires under standards established by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy that “when an officer uses deadly force that results in death or injury, they be placed on leave until they are cleared by a mental health professional to return to duty,” Timothy Feeley, spokesman for the attorney general’s office, said Thursday in an email.

The policy applies to all law enforcement agencies in Maine, he said.

BDN writer Judy Harrison contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like