AUGUSTA, Maine — The 133rd Engineer Battalion, Maine’s oldest and largest military force, will not be turned into an infantry regiment as first planned by the state’s former National Guard chief, who was fired over the proposal earlier this year.

Brig. Gen. Gerard F. Bolduc, the acting adjutant general for the Maine National Guard, announced Friday that all plans to convert the 133rd Engineer Battalion to an Infantry Battalion have officially been halted and that there will be no changes to the force structure of the Maine Army National Guard.

“We are pleased with the decision to retain our storied [133rd] Engineer Battalion in the great state of Maine,” Bolduc said. “The capabilities and expertise of our engineer units are second to none.”

The National Guard Bureau’s command plan will retain all of the existing Maine Army National Guard units and none will be converted to an infantry unit, according to Bolduc. The command plan includes how Maine and 53 other states and territories and the District of Columbia will be affected by the reductions in force under the Pentagon’s 2016-17 budget. The 133rd — a five-company battalion with about 560 soldiers — has a long history, tracing its roots back to 1803 before Maine was a state.

The U.S. Army’s command plan was completed last week, and the National Guard Bureau released the force structure plans for Maine this week, according to Bolduc.

“I did not get the official word until 12:22 this afternoon,” Bolduc said Friday in an email.

The Maine National Guard leadership is “beyond thrilled” with the release of the command plan, especially since there are “no jobs lost,” Bolduc said.

Gov. Paul LePage echoed Bolduc’s satisfaction with the plan.

“As we’ve said all along, the 133rd Engineer Battalion is staying right here where it belongs,” LePage said in a press release. “Now that the Command Plan has been finalized, I am confident we can move forward with a clear path for the future of the Maine National Guard.”

The original transition plan, approved in January, would have taken several existing units from the Maine Guard to create a new 1st Battalion, 103rd Infantry Regiment. Members for the new regiment would have come from the 488th Military Police Company in Waterville; Bravo Company, 172nd Mountain Infantry unit based in Brewer; and four units from the 133rd — the 136th Engineer Company in Skowhegan and Lewiston, the 251st Engineer Company of Norway, and the Forward Support Company and Headquarters Company, both based in Augusta. The controversial plan to transform Maine’s 133rd Engineer Battalion into an infantry unit was created by former Adjutant Gen. James D. Campbell, who was fired by LePage in March for his actions.

Bolduc traveled to the National Guard Bureau in Virginia earlier this year to undo Campbell’s plan and make the case for leaving the 133rd intact.

“The 133rd Engineering Battalion is a vital asset to Maine, and I am relieved it will remain in the state,” U.S. Sen. Angus King, I-Maine, said in a statement Friday. “During my time as governor, I relied on the 133rd many times, most significantly in the aftermath of the Ice Storm of 1998. The battalion’s skill, professionalism and versatility unquestionably saved lives then, and it continues its important work today, supporting various missions in Maine and throughout New England. I’m pleased the 133rd will continue to call Maine home and that we will continue to be able to draw upon their extensive experience when necessary.”

U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, also was happy with the news.

“I am so pleased to learn that the Army National Guard 133rd Engineer Battalion will stay in Maine,” she said. “This is the right decision for the great state of Maine and for our nation.”

The 133rd Engineer Battalion conducts operations that increase military effectiveness, including general engineering tasks in support of state and federal missions, Collins said.

“During my discussions with Lt. Gen. Kadavy, the director of the Army National Guard, in October 2015, and my recent travel to U.S. European Command, it could not be clearer how important the National Guard is to Maine and to enabling national security missions overseas,” Collins said.

U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, said keeping the 133rd in Maine was the right thing to do.

“I’ve been opposed to swapping them for a combat battalion from another state and am glad the National Guard Bureau has agreed that it’s a bad idea,” Pingree said.

While Maine is safe from changes, former Secretary of Defense William Cohen is worried about the military budget cuts.

“If I look at the Army today and I look at readiness — only 31 percent of our militia is ready to go to battle tomorrow,” Cohen said at a moderated discussion titled “America’s Response to Global Instability,” held last week as part of the Cohen Lecture series at the University of Maine. “It’s never been that low.”

Cohen said the cuts send a message that America is not prepared to other countries, specifically China, Russia and countries within the Middle East.

“Our military is being hurt,” Cohen said. “It has harmed our military capability, and many people don’t understand.”