November 17, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Bangor Arrest | Jared Golden | Weather

Accused Littleton shooter had run-in with police 2 days earlier

HOULTON, Maine — A Littleton woman accused of shooting a 52-year-old man at her residence on Sunday night had a run-in with local police officers two days earlier, according to the Houlton police chief.

Margaret Barnes, 62, was arrested and charged on Sunday with elevated aggravated assault after allegedly shooting the man, who was identified Tuesday as Scott Barnes.

Barnes was first taken to Houlton Regional Hospital and then transferred to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, according to Aroostook County Sheriff Darrell Crandall. A representative at EMMC on Tuesday had no information about Barnes’ condition.

Margaret Barnes made her initial appearance in Houlton District Court on Monday, and bail was set at $25,000 cash or $50,000 surety. She remained jailed Tuesday.

She and Scott Barnes both lived at the home at 425 Foster Road in Littleton where he was shot at about 9 p.m. Sunday, according to Crandall.

The sheriff said both deputies and Maine State Police troopers responded to a call about the shooting Sunday night. But he declined to provide any more information about the relationship between Margaret Barnes and Scott Barnes or the shooting, adding only that the case remained under investigation.

Houlton Police Chief Joe McKenna said Tuesday, however, that his officers had had an interaction with Margaret Barnes on Friday, two days before the shooting.

He said officers were called to the Doc’s Place gas station and convenience store on North Road in Houlton that day to investigate a report of a woman acting irrationally.

When they arrived, the officers escorted Barnes outside the store and helped take her to Houlton Regional Hospital, where she underwent a psychological evaluation, according to McKenna.

Doc’s Place customer Keith Stevens of Presque Isle said he had just pulled into the parking lot on Friday when he saw an ambulance and several police cruisers.

“I thought that someone was having a medical emergency, and then I saw this woman absolutely screaming at these police officers and emergency medical technicians,” Stevens said Tuesday. “She was cursing and resisting. It took all of them to get her into the ambulance.”

Stevens said he was not aware that the woman he saw that day had allegedly shot someone until a friend who lives in Littleton pointed it out to him.

It is not clear when Barnes was released from the hospital. A call to Houlton Regional Hospital was not returned Tuesday.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like