This weekend — Friday, Sept. 25 through Sunday, Sept. 27 is the weekend of one of Maine’s most beloved fairs, the Common Ground Fair. As Emily Burnham wrote in Culture Shock:
It’s one of my favorite weekends of the year, when the best parts of summer meet the best parts of fall. So much to love: amazing food. Adorable animals. Interesting people. Cool shopping to be done. Fantastic live music, from the likes of Builder of the House, Meteora, Sorcha Cribben-Merrill, the Gawler Family, the Toughcats and many many more. Contradancing. Workshops. The giant farmers market. I love it. I don’t think I’ve missed a year since I was in high school. It makes me proud to be a Mainer, and a Waldo County native at that. If you’ve never been, grab a bunch of friends to carpool with and head over to Unity. It’s a must-see for all Mainers.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 9 a.m. The gates are open until 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and until 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Where is the fair?
How much does it cost?
- Adults (13-64) – $10.00 Advance/ $15.00 At the Gate Daily
- Elders (65+) – $8.00 Advance/ $10.00 At the Gate Daily
- Children (12 & under) – free daily
- Persons with disabilities – free daily
- School Groups – free on Friday
- Fair Volunteers – free admission and other benefits for 4-hour shift.
- Bike to the Fair and get $2.00 off admission
- Take the train from Unity or Thorndike and get $2.00 off admission
You can buy advance tickets here or at the gate.
Anything else I should know?
You can’t bring your pets, either on the fairgrounds or in the parking area, so leave them at home. MOFGA recommends the least hectic days to arrive are Friday and Sunday, and the best times are before 10 a.m. and after 1:30 p.m.
What’s going on at the fair this year?
Check out local news coverage of the fair at this link.