November 13, 2019
Baseball Latest News | Homelessness | Bangor Metro | Green Crabs | Today's Paper

Fan hit by foul ball sues Red Sox

A woman who suffered injuries from a foul ball hitting her at Fenway Park during a Boston Red Sox game last year filed a lawsuit against the team’s owner on Friday.

Stephanie Taubin of Brookline, Massachusetts, said she sustained facial fractures and neurological damage as the result of being struck in a club area of the stadium on June 17, 2014. She is seeking unspecified damages for medical expenses, lost wages and diminished earning capacity as part of the negligence suit filed in Suffolk Superior Court.

The suit named John Henry, principal owner of the Red Sox. He also owns The Boston Globe.

The area where the 46-year-old Taubin was sitting usually is protected by glass, but it was removed for renovations at the time of the incident.

The Red Sox said they didn’t know the specifics of the suit.

The team said in a statement that it “is unaware of the specifics (of the lawsuit) and generally does not comment on pending legal matters. But the safety of Red Sox fans and providing a quality ballpark experience are essential to the Red Sox, and to Mr. Henry, and are goals for which we strive as an organization to deliver.”

This year, two fans have been hit and injured at Fenway Park.

Tonya Carpenter, 44, of Paxton, Mass., was struck in the face by a shattered bat that flew into the stands near the visitors’ dugout on June 5. She was removed from the ballpark on a stretcher and spent a week in a hospital before she was transferred to a rehabilitation facility.

And on July 10, 36-year-old Stephanie Wapenski was struck on the head by a foul ball during a game against the New York Yankees. She received more than 30 stitches and had a CAT scan at a hospital before being released the next day.

Red Sox shut down pitcher Buchholz for season

Boston Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz reportedly will not pitch again this season.

The team has shut him down, the Boston Herald reported Friday.

Buchholz has been on the disabled list since July 11 because of a strained flexor muscle in his right forearm.

In late July, he received a platelet-rich plasma injection in the elbow.

At the time, manager John Farrell said, “There’s going to be a little bit of a shutdown time now as a result, which is consistent with a PRP injection. The total time with that is yet to be determined.”

The Red Sox had planned to evaluate him next week, but interim manager Torey Lovullo said this week “it might be a challenge” to get Buchholz back on the mound before the end of the season.

The Red Sox hold a $13 million option on Buchholz for 2016.

Earlier in the week, RHP Jonathan Aro was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket when RHP Rick Porcello came off the disabled list Wednesday. In 4.2 innings pitched for the Red Sox this season, he has an 11.57 ERA.

INJURY REPORT: 2B Dustin Pedroia (right hamstring strain) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to July 23. Pedroia was getting daily treatment in early August, and he fielded ground balls Aug. 24. He will not return before Sept. 10. … RHP Steven Wright (concussion symptoms) went on the seven-day disabled list Aug. 15. … RHP Anthony Varvaro (torn flexor tendon in right elbow) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 29, and he was transferred to the 60-day DL on May 27. He underwent surgery May 26 to remove elbow calcification, and he is likely out for the season. … RHP Koji Uehara (broken right wrist) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Aug. 8. He will miss the rest of the season. … RHP Brandon Workman (strained right elbow) went on the 15-day disabled list April 13, and he was transferred to the 60-day DL on June 3. He underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery June 15.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like