NEWCASTLE, Maine — A 68-year-old Newcastle man remained in Two Bridges Regional Jail on Tuesday, charged with sexually assaulting a 3-year-old child in the summer of 2013.

Gary Collamore was arrested July 14 at his Newcastle home, Lt. Michael Murphy of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday.

Collamore is charged with three counts of Class B felony unlawful sexual contact, crimes that allegedly took place in Damariscotta.

In February 2014, the Maine Department of Health and Human Services reported to the sheriff’s office that a 3-year-old had been sexually assaulted by Collamore.

Following an investigation by the sheriff’s office, no charges were brought due a lack of evidence.

But in January 2015, Collamore was arrested at his Newcastle home on an unrelated charge of criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon. According to Murphy, deputies went to the home after Collamore allegedly threatened suicide, and then allegedly threatened a deputy with a knife. No one was injured, Murphy said.

“During this arrest, Collamore made some statements of his involvement with the earlier allegations,” Murphy said.

The alleged statements prompted the sheriff’s office to reopen the original investigation, leading to the sexual assault charges.

Murphy declined to say whether the alleged victim was known to Collamore, but did say that if Collamore is released on bail, he does not believe he is a public threat.

Collamore is being held at Two Bridges Regional Jail on $250 cash bail.