BANGOR, Maine — The Bangor Municipal Golf Course is in tip-top shape and sponsorships are up but Rob Jarvis, assistant pro at the Muni and the tournament director, said registration for the 49th annual Greater Bangor Open is down.

“Entries are a little light and I’m not sure what’s going on,” Jarvis said Monday. “We’re probably down 10-15 percent, which is too bad because we’re all looking forward to having the guys who come up here to play every year see the conditions. The course is better than ever.

“To have a small field would be a bummer,” Jarvis added. “I would definitely like to see more players in the field. This is the lowest number we’ve had [at this point] in many years.”

Jarvis said there are a little more than 70 entrants for the 54-hole event, which kicks off with the pro-am on Wednesday, July 22. There are usually 80 or more at this time.

The GBO event usually attracts more than 100 golfers. The deadline for entrants is July 20.

“There is still time [to attract a full field] but it’s a little unnerving to be a little bit light [at this stage],” said Jarvis, who also said the low number of entrants isn’t indicative of a trend in the sport itself.

“This is the first thing this year that hasn’t exceeded our expectations. Our golf course is way up in terms of rounds and members,” said Jarvis, who also was pleasantly surprised by the turnout at the first annual Downeast-Metro Amateur golf tournament co-hosted by Bangor Muni and Kebo Valley Golf Club in Bar Harbor last month.

David Chung, a native of Fayetteville, North Carolina, and a former All-American at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, is the defending champ but has yet to enter. Chung sank a 30-foot putt on the third extra hole to extend a playoff with Mike Van Sickle of Wexford, Pennsylvania, and won it on the next hole after Van Sickle hit an errant drive.

It was believed to be the longest playoff in the history of the GBO and it was Chung’s first visit to Maine. Van Sickle had shot a course record 60 in the opening round.

Chung and Van Sickle shot a GBO record 16-under par 191 over the three days leading up to the playoff.

The previous four winners were Eric Steger (2013), Will Mitchell (2012), Bangor native Jesse Speirs (2011) and Scott Hawley (2010).

Jarvis said the golf course will play “differently” than usual.

“The greens are softer. There’s a lot more grass on them than last year. They’re really nice,” said Jarvis. “The ball is rolling on these greens the best I’ve ever seen it. It’s going to be a lot truer for sure. Good putters will really have an advantage.”

Chip shots also will react differently and golfers used to hitting the ball and seeing it release will be surprised because “it isn’t releasing.”

“Veteran players won’t have as much an advantage over guys coming here for the first time because the course is playing a little differently,” said Jarvis.

The winner will pocket $9,000 if there is a full field. The second-place finisher will earn $5,000 and the third-place golfer will take home $3,200. Fourth and fifth will earn $2,700 and $2,000, respectively.

Even without a full field, the fact sponsorship is up “may be able to combat that” and ensure that the purse is the same, according to Jarvis.