FRENCHVILLE, Maine — Residents in SAD 33 are looking at an $88,132 increase to the local tax appropriation to fund education due to a more than 10 percent loss of funding from the state.

“The state’s share of the budget is down $188,371,” said SAD 33 Superintendent Fern Desjardins. “Local taxpayers will raise only what the state requires in order to get the full state share of funding in the district [and] no additional local funds will be raised.”

Last week the SAD 33 Board of Directors approved a fiscal year 2015-2016 budget of $3,364,269, Desjardins said, that includes an increase of $26,000, less than 1 percent, over last year’s budget.

Voters will address the proposed budget during the district meeting 7 p.m. on May 27 at the Dr. Levesque Elementary School in Frenchville.

Member towns Frenchville and St. Agatha share the budget based on property valuation. This year St. Agatha is paying 56.65 percent of the budget and Frenchville contributes the remaining 43.35 percent.

A district middle school teacher was eliminated under the new budget and small increase adjustments of 2.4 percent and 2- to 3 percent were made to health insurance premiums and wages, respectively, Desjardins said.

A budget validation referendum is set for Tuesday, June 9 with the polls open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Frenchville Community Center and the St. Agatha Town Office.

Absentee ballots are available through the local town offices, Desjardins said.

Julia Bayly

Julia Bayly is a reporter at the Bangor Daily News with a regular bi-weekly column. Julia has been a freelance travel writer/photographer since 2000.