October 21, 2019
Midcoast Latest News | Bangor City Hall | Bangor Metro | USS Sequoia | Today's Paper

Fire destroys Union garage

UNION, Maine — A residential garage and pickup truck were destroyed by a Friday morning fire.

Union Fire Chief Kevin Soule said he suspects the fire was caused by a chicken brooder that had been plugged in about 20 minutes earlier. The homeowner had gone to get the chicks.

He did not have the name of the homeowner immediately available.

No one was injured. The medium-sized garage at 1257 Depot St. in Union was destroyed, as well as a Dodge pickup truck parked next to the garage, the chief said. One section of the exterior of the house, located about 20 feet from the garage, was scorched, but crews were able to wet it down and prevent the fire from spreading.

Smoke got inside the home but was ventilated by crews.

He said several adult chickens got loose and went into the woods as the firefighting effort was under way.

Waldoboro, Washington, Warren and Appleton fire crews responded to assist Union firefighters.

Traffic was redirected from the area where the fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. on Depot Street, also known as Route 235.

Crews were at the scene for more than two hours.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like