HAMPDEN, Maine — A riding lawn mower that was parked in a shed after being used to cut grass is the suspected cause of a fire Thursday afternoon that burned about half an acre of the homeowner’s yard.

The fire at 463 Sawyer Road began shortly after 2 p.m. and was reported by a passer-by, according to Hampden fire Lt. Jason Lundstrom. He said the homeowner, whose name was not immediately available, was away when the fire started.

“It turned into a little bit of a wildland fire after the shed caught fire, just given the nature of the season,” he said.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it could escape into the treeline at the back of the yard, he said.

“When we arrived on scene, the shed had actually collapsed but we were able to stop the fire very quickly right in the yard,” Lundstrom said, adding that crews from Hermon, Bangor, Newburgh and the Maine Forest Service helped extinguish the fire.

Lundstrom said no injuries were reported in connection with the fire and that a nearby house and garage were not damaged.

The shed was insured, Lundstrom said.

BDN writer Ryan McLaughlin contributed to this report.