WATERVILLE, Maine — It took firefighters from Waterville and surrounding towns slightly less than an hour to douse a garage fire that, in turn, caused a car fire on Washington Street on Thursday.

Although the garage and a 2014 Nissan Versa parked next to it both were demolished, crews were able to save a nearby home, Waterville fire Capt. John Gromek said Thursday in a news release.

Fire damage to the single-family residence at 29 Washington St. was contained to a back corner of the building, said Gromek, who was the primary investigator.

According to Gromek, the fire began in the garage. It was reported shortly before 11:20 a.m. and stopped about 12:10 p.m., he said.

Gromek said the house is owned by Mary Slack. He said the fire was ruled accidental and was the result of an electrical problem.

The two residents of the house will be able to return home after an electrician isolates the garage wiring from the house, the chief said.

Waterville firefighters were assisted by their colleagues from Winslow, Oakland and Fairfield. No one was injured in connection with the blaze.