July 15, 2019
Penobscot Latest News | Homelessness | Bangor Metro | Central Maine Power | Today's Paper

Fire damages home of Burt’s Bees co-founder in Parkman

Brian Feulner | BDN
Brian Feulner | BDN
Burt Shavitz

PARKMAN, Maine — The home of Burt’s Bees co-founder Burt Shavitz was heavily damaged by a fire earlier this week. No injuries were reported, Guilford Fire Chief Jeff Libby said Tuesday.

The fire at the two-story house off North Dexter Road, reported at about 5 p.m. Monday, started in the chimney but extended into a second-floor room. Firefighters from Guilford, which covers Parkman, and from Sangerville spent about two hours fighting the blaze, Libby said.

“The house might be salvageable,” Libby said Tuesday. “We are fortunate that it was a quick knockdown and there wasn’t a lot of freezing of apparatus or lots of water needed.”

About 4,000 gallons were used to battle the fire, Libby said. At the time of the fire, one person was home and called 911. Libby said he didn’t know if it was Shavitz.

Shavitz and Roxanne Quimby formed the company that produced Burt’s Bees lip balm, moisturizers and shampoos. Quimby eventually bought out Shavitz and went on to sell the company for a reported $320 million.

 



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like