JEFFERSON, Maine — Fire destroyed a new house Monday night on Route 17 in Jefferson. The homeowner planned to move in this week, Jefferson Fire Chief Wally Morris said.

The home at 313 Rockland Road, also known as Route 17, was vacant and there were no injuries in the fire or the response, Morris said. Morris was at the scene with state fire marshal’s office personnel Tuesday to investigate the cause of the fire.

The home, owned by Jeremy Tillson, was insured, Morris said.

Monday’s snowstorm complicated the response to the fire, Morris said. A firefighter who was among the first to arrive at the scene had to plow the driveway to gain access to the house, which sits several hundred feet from the road.

“It was challenging,” Morris said. “It was still snowing heavily at the time. The wind was still whipping pretty good.”

“Firefighters had to wade through chest-deep snow in some cases with the drifts,” Morris said.

The temperature was zero or slightly below, which caused issues with hose lines, trucks, and other equipment.

“We had to send a couple of trucks back because they were experiencing icing and freezing problems,” Morris said.

The rural location lacks hydrants, which means firefighters had to shuttle tankers back and forth to a water supply. The shuttle effort worked smoothly, Morris said.

“We utilized a dry hydrant in the river in Coopers Mills, so it was about 2 miles from the fire scene,” Morris said. Despite the distance, “We never ran out of water,” he said.

The Nobleboro, Pittston, Somerville, Waldoboro, Washington, Whitefield and Windsor fire departments assisted Jefferson at the scene, while Newcastle covered Jefferson’s station.

Jefferson emergency medical technicians and Waldoboro Emergency Medical Services also responded to the scene.

There were about 40 firefighters on the scene, Morris said. He cleared the scene at about 2:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Morris said a “big thank you to the firefighters and the mutual-aid towns” for their efforts.

“Everybody works well together and everybody worked hard and, of course, the most important thing was, there were no injuries,” Morris said.

Monday’s fire was the third house fire in the area within a week. The scene is about 2.5 miles from the scene of a Jan. 27 fire on Mills Road in Whitefield and 7.25 miles from the scene of a fire Sunday on Patricktown Road in Somerville.