WARREN, Maine — The chairman of the Board of Selectmen who is under investigation following an alleged physical altercation with the public works supervisor has not taken out papers for re-election.

Michael York said Thursday he had no comment on whether he would seek a second three-year term on the board. The deadline for candidates to file their nomination papers with the town office is 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6.

York has denied he assaulted the public works supervisor during an incident on Nov. 5.

Public Works supervisor Douglas Gammon filed a notice of claim with the town last month, seeking damages of more than $150,000. He claims that York came on his property, refused to leave and then punched him. The public works supervisor suffered a torn ligament and tendon damage to his thumb, according to the notice.

Gammon’s version was contested in a statement last month from York’s attorney Christopher MacLean of Camden.

“The version of events described in the notice of claim and by Mr. (Douglas) Gammon’s personal injury lawyer is simply not true. The truth is that without provocation, Mr. Gammon punched Mr. York in the face on Nov. 5. Unfortunately, we cannot stop Mr. Gammon and his lawyer from making whatever allegations they want, but we are confident that when the truth comes out, Mr. York will be fully vindicated.”

Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey Baroody said Wednesday that no decision has been made on whether criminal charges will be filed against anyone.

Three people are seeking the seat now held by York. They include James Kinney, Michael Phillips and Paula Sutton. They have all taken out papers but have yet to return them.

There are also three candidates for the other selectmen seat up for election and now held by Edmund Laflamme. Laflamme, Kinney and William O’Donnell have taken out papers but not yet returned them.

The election is Monday, March 23 with polls open at the town office from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Town meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. March 24 at the Warren Community School.