TURNER, Maine — Firefighters are trying to figure out what caused a large barn fire early Tuesday morning in Turner.
The fire started about 3 a.m. on Snell Hill Road.
Derek McLaughlin, who lives in the home next to the barn, said he woke up to the sound of popping, looked out his window and saw flames.
McLaughlin said his focus was on keeping the fire away from the propane tank near his house.
Four fire departments battled the blaze and faced several challenges, including running out of water.
The barn was destroyed, and the amount of damage is estimated to be in the thousands.
“Snowmobiles, obviously my tractor was right there. There was a lot of food inside and freezers and everything,” said McLaughlin.
He said the animals in the barn were able to escape unharmed. The fire did not spread to the nearby home, but it did melt the siding.