CARIBOU, Maine — A Fort Fairfield man who served as an Episcopalian minister in the New Sweden area for several years before he was suspended from the ministry has been indicted on several sex charges.

James Morgan, 67, was indicted Friday by the Aroostook County grand jury on felony charges of gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact. The indictment was released Monday by County District Attorney Todd Collins.

The charges are the same ones officers filed when arresting Morgan on Oct. 8 following an investigation by members of the Presque Isle Police Department with assistance from members of the Fort Fairfield Police Department. Morgan has remained imprisoned at the county jail in Houlton since his arrest and entered no plea during his initial appearance on Oct. 9 in Aroostook County Superior via videoconferencing from the jail.

There are allegedly two victims in the case and both are children, Presque Isle Police Chief Matt Irwin said when Morgan was arrested.

The abuse is alleged to have taken place between January 2008 and December 2012 in Presque Isle, according to the indictment. Irwin said one of the victims disclosed the abuse to a school counselor, prompting the investigation.

The chief said that over the course of the past few years, Morgan has traveled throughout the state and Canada, where he accompanied groups of children and teens on trips related to his religious activities.

Irwin has said that based on evidence police uncovered there could be additional victims and he urged the public to call Presque Isle police Officer Bill Scull at 764-4476 if they have any pertinent information.

A former Navy chaplain, Morgan moved to Maine in 1997 to become pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Stockholm, during which an alliance was signed allowing Lutherans and Episcopalians to share clergy, sacraments and programs, according to Bangor Daily News archives.

He also served as pastor of Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church in New Sweden.

Heidi Shott, canon missioner for communication and advocacy for The Episcopal Diocese of Maine, said last month that Morgan last ministered at Trinity Lutheran in 2008.

She said that in January 2012, Morgan’s license to minister in Maine was revoked. Then, the license that allowed him to minister nationwide was suspended in October 2012, Schott said.

Shott said she could not say why Morgan’s licenses were pulled because of the ongoing criminal case.