MEDDYBEMPS, Maine — A local woman escaped harm but two of her pets died Tuesday morning after her gas stove caught some curtains on fire inside her trailer home, according to a local official.

Ike Winchester, Meddybemps’ fire chief, said the fire was reported around 8:15 Tuesday morning. The woman got out with what she had on, he said, but everything else was destroyed in the blaze, and a cat and dog died.

“It was an absolute total loss,” Winchester said. “The trailer was fully involved by the time we got there.”

Firefighters managed to save a garage, which was about four feet away from the mobile home, located on a shorefront parcel on Meddybemps Lake, the fire chief said.

The trailer had two metal roofs — a flat one and then a metal-sheathed pitched roof built later over that — which complicated efforts to extinguish the flames, Winchester said. It took approximately 20 firefighters three hours to get the fire under control, which they were able to do with the help of a backhoe that eventually pried the pitched roof off the structure.

The trailer home was insured and the woman, whose name Winchester could not recall offhand, has been in contact with Maine Red Cross officials. He said she has lots of family in the area and is staying with relatives.

Firefighters from Alexander, Charlotte and Cooper assisted Meddybemps firefighters at the scene. Downeast EMS and Eastern Maine Electric also helped out by providing support and cutting power to the trailer, the fire chief said.


Bill Trotter

A news reporter in coastal Maine for more than 20 years, Bill Trotter writes about how the Atlantic Ocean and the state's iconic coastline help to shape the lives of coastal Maine residents and visitors....