ROCKLAND, Maine — Two people were taken to the hospital from a fire that started on a stovetop while a second fire in the city Sunday afternoon resulted in damage to a home.

The first blaze was reported to the fire department shortly after 2 p.m. at an apartment at the Stevens Green complex.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Mazzeo said one person was taken to the hospital in a private vehicle and a second person was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport by a city ambulance. Mazzeo said he was prohibited by federal privacy laws from giving details about the two people’s injuries.

He said the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office was called in because of the injuries.

A sprinkler in the residence doused the fire, but there was some smoke and water damage in the apartment, located along Thomaston and Lovejoy streets.

Rockland police were at the scene for more than an hour.

Several residents were wrapped in blankets to keep warm with the outside temperature at a brisk 40 degrees.

While the department was still there investigating the fire, a second fire call came in at 3:45 p.m. from the other side of town.

Mazzeo said that fire, at 21 Cedar St., was blamed on wood stove ashes that a resident dumped outside Saturday night. The fire damaged the siding of the home, but the flames did not reach the interior.

The home is owned by Andrew McFadden of Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, according to the city’s assessment website.