BATH, Maine — A 39-year-old woman reported by witnesses to be driving “dangerously” on Route 1 with two small children in the car was arrested Tuesday afternoon.

Amy Small of Bath was charged with felony assault on a law enforcement officer, as well as the following misdemeanor crimes: operating under the influence with one prior, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, assault, refusing to submit to arrest, refusing to stop for a law enforcement officer, operating after suspension and violation of license restrictions.

Small was stopped at 4:40 p.m. on Front Street with two 4-year-old children in the car: her son and another unrelated boy, according to a press release from Bath police Lt. Robert Savary.

Another driver reported to Bath police Tuesday afternoon that a Toyota Corolla heading south on Route 1 was “dangerously passing cars” and “swerving all over the roadway” before exiting onto Front Street, according to Savary.

Bath police Officer Garrett Olson allegedly saw the Toyota as it approached the exit and watched as it passed stopped vehicles waiting at a stop sign. Savary said the car continued down Front Street at a high rate of speed.

When Olson activated his blue lights and siren in an attempt to stop the car, it allegedly continued down Front Street, near Water Street, and accelerated, stopping just past Linden Street and striking the curb.

As officers tried to arrest Small for operating under the influence, she attempted to pull away and actively resist being taken into custody, Savary said.

Sagadahoc County deputies Matt Shiers and Mark Anderson assisted in securing Small in handcuffs and placing her in a police cruiser. According to Savary, she kicked and bit officers on the ride to the police station and during the booking process.

She remained in Two Bridges Regional Jail on Wednesday, held on $5,000 cash bail. Small is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 15, 2015.

Small’s son was released to another family member, and the other child was released to a parent.

Savary said injuries suffered by the officer did require medical attention but are not considered serious.

“This was an extremely dangerous situation that could have ended tragically,” Savary said. “We are very fortunate that a motorist called to report the dangerous driving of Amy Small. Furthermore, we are fortunate that Officer Olson located her quickly and was able to stop her before she seriously injured a pedestrian, another motorist, the children in the vehicle or herself.”