September 22, 2019
Hancock Latest News | Castle Hill Deaths | Bangor Metro | Bangor Abortion | Today's Paper

Pigs, chickens die in Brooklin barn fire

BROOKLIN, Maine — Several animals died in a barn fire early Monday morning, according to fire officials.

The fire at Poland Family Farm on River Road was reported by a passing motorist shortly before 4:30 a.m. Monday, according to local fire officials. The first firefighters who arrived at the scene found the structure fully engulfed.

According to Brooklin Fire Chief Sam Friend, two sows and several piglets died in the blaze. Several chickens that were in the barn managed to get out, but other chickens died, he said. No people were injured in the fire.

Friend said three heat lamps were being used to keep the piglets warm and one of the lamps is believed to have caused the fire, either by malfunctioning or by getting hot enough to ignite nearby combustible material, possibly wood shavings, he said.

The chief said the barn was destroyed in the blaze. The State Fire Marshal’s Office has been notified, he added, but is not expected to send an investigator to the scene. Fire marshal officials seemed satisfied with attributing the cause to one of the heat lamps, he said.

According to Brooklin Assistant Fire Chief Rob Shillady, the barn was about 100 feet from the nearest structure, which was not damaged. He and Friend each said they did not know whether the barn was insured.

Shillady estimated about 50 firefighters responded from Brooklin, Blue Hill, Deer Isle and Sedgwick. Friend said firefighters had the flames under control within about 30 minutes after arriving at the fire, then took another hour or so to fully extinguish the blaze.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like