SCARBOROUGH, Maine — State fire marshals are investigating a Monday night fire in Scarborough that displaced at least a dozen businesses, Portland television station WGME, CBS 13, reported.
Firefighters from six communities responded to the three-alarm blaze, which was reported just after 7 p.m. in the building at 153 Route 1. Route 1 was closed to traffic during the incident and was reopened at around 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, CBS 13 reported.
“It spread pretty rapidly because of the size of the building [and the] construction — it’s kind of added on, addition after addition,” Capt. Jim Butler of the Scarborough Fire Department told the television station. “It was pretty difficult for our crews to get to the source of the fire.”
Richard Aube, who owns the structure, said at least 12 office tenants, including doctors, lawyers and accountants, were displaced by the fire. He told CBS 13 the building did have a sprinkler system.
“I just feel bad for everybody who’s got businesses in here, because I’m sure they’re all destroyed by water if nothing else,” he told CBS 13. “I’m still a little shocked.”
Scarborough Fire Department officials said three firefighters were taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion, but are expected to be OK, the television station reported.