MEDWAY, Maine – Town firefighters and residents will help one of their own Wednesday to recover from injuries suffered while he was fighting a fire in late July, Fire Chief Jon Buckingham said Tuesday.
Greg Hale, a firefighter for 11 years, is recovering from second- and third-degree burns to his arms and legs caused when he was removing a burning pot of grease from a Main Street kitchen fire on July 26, East Millinocket firefighters said. Off duty at the time, Hale’s actions prevented any damage to the home.
Firefighters will hold a supper and raffle at Medway Middle School at 4 p.m. Wednesday to help the Hales defray costs associated with the accident, Buckingham said.
“We are a tight-knit community. When one of our family members gets hurt, we try to do everything we can to help,” Buckingham said Tuesday. “From what I have seen, he is doing well. He is starting to get out and about a little bit, not very much. Every once in a while he has a little bit of pain, but other than that he is doing all right. But he still needs help.”
The dinner will feature a silent auction and 50-50 raffle of items donated by Katahdin region retailers, Buckingham said. Anyone interested in attending can donate at the door or can visit the Facebook page set up in Hale’s honor.
Donations offered through a gofundme.com page for Hale accumulated $1,714 as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the page.