EAST MILLINOCKET, Maine — The local man seriously burned when he helped stop a kitchen fire on July 26 is recovering, and he is buoyed by the establishment of relief funds in his name, officials said Thursday.
Surgeons applied skin grafts to the feet of Greg Hale on Tuesday, and he will be in leg immobilizers at a burn unit at Maine Medical Center in Portland for several days, said Hale’s sister, Emmy Williams.
Hale suffered third-degree burns on his feet and toes; second-degree burns to his shins, left hand and left hip; plus burns to his forearms when he got splashed while removing a burning pot of grease from a Main Street kitchen fire, East Millinocket firefighters said. His actions prevented any damage to the home.
“The outpouring of generosity by people is just amazing, not only money-wise, but the kind words and continuous prayers are such a blessing,” Williams said in an email. “Greg remains in high spirits and is absolutely grateful for the prayers, well wishes and donations.”
Williams established a Greg Hale Burn Fund at the East Millinocket Federal Credit Union at 60 Main St. and a page at gofundme.com, which as of noon Thursday had raised $1,533 for Hale and his family.
Williams established the funds so that the Hales would have “one less stressor.”
“His wife and daughter live about three hours away from the hospital, and at this point, we are not sure how long Greg will have to be there,” Williams said. “Having some extra money so they could stay close would be great. He’ll be out of work for awhile, so anything to help financially would make anyone feel just a little bit better.”
Word of the accident, and Hale’s heroism, spread quickly, Williams said.
“People were asking me immediately where they could donate or what they could do to help or if there was going to be a benefit supper,” said Williams, who expressed gratitude for the donations and kind thoughts.