AUGUSTA, Maine — Ten tenants were displaced when a fire ripped through a five-unit apartment building on State Street on Tuesday afternoon.

Smoke was pouring from the attic of the two-story building when firefighters arrived shortly before 3 p.m., according to Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette.

A tenant had seen fire in the building and called 911, according to Audette. The fire was contained to the second floor, but both the second and third floors were damaged by heavy smoke and water, the chief said.

Audette said most of the tenants managed to get out on their own but firefighters had to assist others out of the building. No injuries were reported and the Red Cross is aiding displaced tenants.

The building received about $30,000 in damage, according to Audette. He said the structure can be repaired.

State Street was closed to traffic for an hour and a half while crews from Augusta, Togus, Winthrop and Gardiner battled the blaze. Firefighters cleared the scene at 5 p.m.

The cause of the fire was an electrical problem, Audette said.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...