June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Bangor man involved in home invasion in which companion was fatally shot to serve 6 years

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A local man whose companion was fatally shot during a home invasion in 2012 pleaded guilty Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to four charges and will serve six years behind bars.

Philip McIntyre , 22, of Bangor pleaded guilty to one count each of Class A robbery, Class B aggravated assault, Class B burglary and Class C aggravated criminal mischief. He was sentenced to 12 years in prison with all but six suspended, followed by four years of probation.

Superior Court Justice Ann Murray accepted the plea agreement between Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy and defense attorney Aaron Fethke of Searsport.

McIntyre was indicted in November by the Penobscot County grand jury with Danielle Bellefleur, 29, of Bangor. They were accused of being involved in a home invasion nearly 2½ years ago in Hermon.

Bellefleur pleaded guilty last month to aggravated criminal trespass and was sentenced to five years in prison with all but 42 days suspended, followed by two years of probation, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office.

McIntyre has been held without bail since early December, unable to post $10,000 cash bail. That time will count toward his sentence.

He told the judge that his addiction to drugs led to the crime.

At about 9 a.m. on Feb. 16, 2012, the duo, along with Robert Dellairo, 30, of Bangor, broke into the apartment of Daniel Williams, 27, Williams told the Bangor Daily News a few days after the break-in. A scuffle ensued between Williams and his then-roommate, Luis Ramos, 25, and Dellairo and McIntyre.

Williams was able to break away and run to his bedroom, where he grabbed his .22-caliber handgun and “did what I had to do,” according to the BDN report.

Williams shot McIntyre in the leg and followed the injured man and his two accomplices out the door to be sure they were leaving. Once outside the house, Dellairo turned back toward Williams and lunged at him. Williams told the BDN that he fired at Dellairo, striking him in the hip.

Bellefleur, McIntyre and Dellairo fled in a car registered to Bellefleur and went to St. Joseph Hospital in Bangor, according to previous reports. Dellairo was transferred to Eastern Maine Medical Center, where he died the same day.

On Tuesday, the prosecutor described McIntyre’s role as that of a “supporting actor.” Dellairo initiated the break-in because he believed Williams to be a drug dealer who kept a lot of cash in his apartment, Almy said.

Williams, who was not in court for McIntyre’s guilty plea and sentencing, was tried in January 2013 on trafficking and possession charges after police found drugs in his home during a search following the shootings. He was convicted by a jury on misdemeanor drug possession charges. Jurors found him not guilty of felony drug trafficking charges.

He was sentenced Feb. 1, 2013, to five months in prison and was ordered to pay a $1,500 fine and $1,500 in restitution.

Almy said last year that he waited to take McIntyre and Bellefleur’s cases to the grand jury until Williams’ drug case had been resolved. The prosecutor also said he wanted to get all the evidence, including lab test results, before charging McIntyre and Bellefleur.

McIntyre faced up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000 on the robbery charge because someone was killed during the commission of the crime. Bellefleur faced up to five years and a fine of up to $5,000 on the aggravated criminal trespass charge.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like