December 14, 2017
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Republican Tax Bill | Roy Moore | Susan Collins

Fire damages Auburn apartment building, displaces 2 families

By Beth Jones, CBS 13
Updated:

AUBURN, Maine — Fire displaced two families Thursday in Auburn, but no one was injured. The landlord is crediting smoke detectors that are installed throughout the building.

The fire broke out at an apartment building at 100 Riverside Drive. Firefighters arrived to find black smoke billowing out of the second and third floor windows.

The landlord, Viola Dobson, who lives with her husband on the first floor, told CBS 13 News that the smoke detectors went off, but at the time, they didn’t actually see any signs of fire.

“We looked around for smoke upstairs, and we didn’t find anything,” Dobson said. “All of a sudden, I opened the closet door downstairs, and smoke started billowing out. So I called 911 and grabbed what I could, and that was it.”

Dobson said there are at least a dozen smoke detectors throughout the building, and she is grateful that they were working. The Red Cross helped the two displaced families find a place to stay at least for the night.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like