April 21, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush Funeral | Bangor Savings Bank

Skowhegan apartment building damaged by fire

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

SKOWHEGAN, Maine — An apartment building on Milburn Street was heavily damaged by fire Tuesday night, officials said.

Firefighters were called to the two-story building shortly after 11 p.m., Skowhegan Fire Chief Rich Fowler said.

Fowler said the building was occupied by at least two families, both of whom managed to get out safely.

The building’s second-story unit was the most affected, as the blaze started in a bathroom on that level.

Fowler said an electrical issue is the likely cause, and the flames worked their way up a wall and into the attic.

The chief said the fire was burning up above the second-floor tenant’s unit for a while before she realized a fire was occurring and called 911.

Fowler said it took firefighters from Skowhegan, Norridgewock, Canaan and Madison about an hour and a half to get the blaze under control, as firefighters had a difficult time getting to the flames.

No firefighters or tenants were injured, and the second-floor unit is being deemed unlivable. The first floor suffered smoke and water damage but is repairable.

The Red Cross has been contacted to aid the tenants.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like