June 23, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Accused killer Jesse Marquis makes first court appearance

Maine State Police | BDN
Maine State Police | BDN
Jesse Marquis
By Julia Bayly, BDN Staff

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — Jesse Marquis, the 38-year-old man arrested in connection with the shooting and stabbing death of his longtime girlfriend, Amy Theriault, made his first court appearance Monday morning in Presque Isle District Court by a satellite link from the Aroostook County Jail in Houlton.

Flanked by defense counsels Robert Ward and Jeff Pickering, Marquis sat facing the camera at the jail, his left hand bandaged.

He answered in the affirmative when asked by Justice Bernard O’Mara whether he understood the complaint of “murder” against him for “intentionally or knowingly causing the death of another human being, Amy Theriault.”

O’Mara indicated the case also likely will go before the grand jury for indictment.

Several members of Theriault’s immediate family were in the Presque Isle court room, silently watching the proceedings.

They left immediately when it was done and declined to comment to the media.

Marquis was arrested last Friday after an intensive six-day manhunt ended with his capture in St. Francis about a mile from Theriault’s home.

The Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call at 5:45 a.m. Saturday, May 31, about a domestic violence incident at 754 Main St. Witnesses in the home told police they saw Marquis leave the residence and enter the woods behind the house with a rifle.

Theriault’s two daughters were not home at the time of the shooting.

The state medical examiner has ruled Theriault’s death a homicide. She died of a gunshot wound to the chest and multiple stab wounds to the chest and neck, according to a spokesman for the medical examiner’s office.

In an affidavit filed at district court, Maine State Police Officer Adam Stoutamyer described meeting with two witnesses who were with Theriault at the time of her killing that morning.

One witness, described as Theriault’s “best friend,” by Stoutamyer, told him she had known the victim for 15 years, and Theriault and Marquis had dated for two years and recently had begun living together.

Both witnesses told Stoutamyer that Theriault had broken up with Marquis the previous day and had asked them to stay with her the night of May 30.

Both said they were asleep when Marquis entered the residence at 5 a.m. May 31, with one witness saying he “basically woke up to a gun being pointed at him.”

He also reported hearing “a noise that sounded like the breaking of a coffee table” and hearing Theriault yelling.

The affidavit does not go into detail, but indicates that both the man and woman “witnessed parts of the incident.”

Both also said they saw Marquis leaving the house, the male witness saying he saw him carrying a bolt action rifle, as the female witness attempted to perform CPR on Theriault until paramedics arrived.

Marquis has been assigned defense counsels Steven Smith and Dan Umphries, according to court records.

The St. Francis man will next appear June 13 for a bail hearing in Caribou District Court.

Hope and Justice Project is the domestic violence resource center in Aroostook County, and its 24/7, free and confidential hotline is available to anyone who has been affected by this tragedy at 800-439-2323.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like