THOMASTON, Maine — A Cushing man has filed a lawsuit claiming that he found a dead mouse in his milkshake.
The lawsuit on behalf of George Mele was filed Wednesday in Knox County Superior Court against RC Management LLC, which does business as McDonald’s.
Mele claims that he purchased a meal that included a milkshake from the McDonald’s restaurant in Thomaston on Dec. 6, 2012. While consuming the meal, he allegedly discovered the dead mouse in the shake.
The owner of the McDonald’s issued a response late Wednesday.
“Serving my customers safe, high quality food and beverages is a top priority for me,” said Ron Lydick. “When this alleged incident was brought to our attention back in 2012, we promptly reviewed the matter and were unable to substantiate these claims. I have a strong track record with the local health department and strive to operate our restaurants in accordance with local, state and federal health standards as well as McDonald’s stringent standards. As this is now a legal matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”
The incident has caused Mele emotional and psychological injuries, according to the lawsuit. He experienced episodes of vomiting, nausea, acid reflux and insomnia since the incident occurred, according to the lawsuit. He is seeking unspecified dollar damages for those injuries, lost wages and future expenses.
Mele could not be reached for comment. He is represented by attorney Gary Goldberg of Portland. The attorney said Mele picked up the food and was drinking the shake in his vehicle, when he detected something hard at the bottom of the container. When he opened it, he found the mouse, Goldberg said.
Mele immediately returned to the restaurant, but Goldberg said he did not want to state what the company’s response was.