June 18, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Samaritans save teenage girl after Route 1 accident in Belfast that likely was related to drugs

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELFAST, Maine — Good Samaritans likely saved the life of a teenage girl Wednesday night after she lost control of her vehicle and crashed into another car on U.S. Route 1, according to Belfast Police Chief Mike McFadden.

He said that the young woman, whom police are not yet naming, started to go out of control in the northbound lane well before she struck a pickup truck that was stopped at the onramp near the Route 1 bridge.

“There’s evidence to suggest the accident was drug-related,” he said Thursday afternoon, adding that the investigation is ongoing.

The teen skidded along the guardrail for a ways, hit a bridge abutment, veered across a grassy area and then hit the truck.

“Once the impact occurred, citizens at the scene observed what they thought to be smoke coming from the passenger compartment of the young lady’s vehicle,” McFadden said. “They pulled her out of the car and got her onto the grass. Once they got her there, she was unconscious. They noticed she wasn’t breathing and couldn’t find a pulse, and started CPR.”

When police arrived at the scene, they continued CPR and also used an automated external defibrillator device until a crew from Belfast Ambulance arrived and took her to Waldo County General Hospital. There, she was stabilized enough to bring her to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for treatment, McFadden said. She was listed in critical condition Thursday afternoon, he said.

“I think transport under normal circumstances would have been LifeFlight, but the weather didn’t permit it,” he said.

He said he would not speculate whether her medical issues were caused by the impact or by something else.

The driver of the pickup truck, whose name also was not released, was taken to Waldo County General Hospital for treatment and was released that night, he said.

The Route 1 onramp was shut down for more than five hours, he said, while crews worked at the accident scene. Route 1 was shut down for about half an hour later that night, while a Maine State Police accident reconstructionist worked to trace her movements. Maine State Police also helped with traffic control, as did the Belfast Fire Department. The Waldo County Sheriff’s Office also assisted at the scene.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like